Having left Sydney in July 2016 to begin our first trip up the East Coast it almost felt like coming home when we flew back down from Cairns on February 1st 2017 – over 6 months later.

Mum and dad had got an earlier flight than us meaning by the time we arrived at our hotel they had already checked us in, been to see the Opera House and harbour bridge and had a bottle of wine while they waited. It was around 9pm by the time we’d got to the hotel and got changed so we quickly walked to Darling Harbour for dinner.

After eating we walked around the harbour, admiring the beautifully lit cityscape before walking back to circular quay to see the famous harbour at night.

As we arrived shortly after Chinese New Year we were able to see all the decorations which followed the quay from the Harbour Bridge all the way round to the Opera House.

Unfortunately all of the bars had closed up for the night so it was time to sleep before our last full day together in Australia.

Day Two

We woke up early and walked to Circular Quay to get a ferry to Watson Bay. This allowed mum and dad to see Sydney’s famous landmarks form a different and equally impressive angle. 

Once at Watson Bay we walked through the park giving us yet another view of Circular Quay. After exploring another place we hadn’t been before we got the bus to the famous Bondi Beach.

The weather wasn’t ideal beach weather but the strong winds only meant the waves were more fun and the beach wasn’t too crowded. After scouting out some of the lifeguards from Bondi Rescue and going for a swim we dried off and sat at a roof top restaurant overlooking the beach for lunch. 

Having broken my camera earlier in the day I needed to find a camera shop and get it fixed so we headed to Bondi Junction and got it sorted while mum and dad went back to the Opera bar for another bottle of wine.

Eventually we reunited back at the Opera bar (my camera got replaced with a brand new one!) where we had another bottle of wine before heading back to the hotel to get ready for our final dinner together before mum and dad went home.

Not wanting to have a late night we got something quick and easy for dinner – enchiladas from Guzman and Gomez and then went back to our favourite bar…the Opera Bar!

The Final Day

Mum and dad had to leave for their flight at 1pm, which meant we were going to make the most of the morning before they left. Our first stop was a restaurant near Circular Quay for breakfast. After that we had planned a chilled morning before the long flight home but instead ended up walking to the Rocks and then walking all the way over the bridge to see the Olympic Pool and Luna Park.

Once over the Northside it wasn’t long before it was time to say goodbye so we got the ferry back across and had a drink while we waited. Eventually we collected our luggage and headed to the train station where we would go our separate ways – mum and dad to the airport and Sam and I to our accommodation for the next three nights.

The goodbye was harder than I expected and left me crying at the train station and on the train. I didn’t realise how much I missed them until they were gone and all I wanted was to book a flight and go home with them.

However I troopered through the sadness and am glad we stayed as I’m not done with Australia yet!